Forum  Discussions  Tow-Pac Inc  Rear drive grease change
Previous Previous

Next Next
New Post 1/29/2008 4:07 PM
  Gramps
15 posts
No Ranking

Rear drive grease change  (N/A)

I figured it was past time to do the initial change, going to synthetic.  Bought what I'd need at AutoZone, rode home and parked the Burgman where I'd have plenty of room to work, pulled up my comfy roll around chair, and................there doesn't seem to me that the final drive cover can be removed unless THE WHOLE DAMNED TOW-PAC IS REMOVED FIRST!!!!.  Will someone please tell me I'm wrong?

New Post 1/29/2008 6:28 PM
  seatec
161 posts
10th Level Poster

Re: Rear drive grease change  (Canada)

Thats too bad gramps, not much room to get it off. I just chainged mine to synthetic, no problem with the Danson.  Wayne

New Post 2/1/2008 12:25 PM
  Gramps
15 posts
No Ranking

Re: Rear drive grease change  (N/A)

Spent a couple hours and gave up.  Guess I'm going to have to figure out what I'm doing wrong.  Started by placing my floor jack just touching the center of the bike where the center stand was, then breaking loose all (5) bolts/nuts.  As I was removing the front left bolt, I noticed that bolt was cutting its own thread and backing out toward the top.  Didn't like the looks of that, so went to the two bolts where the vertical piece joins the bracket attached to the left side of the frame.  Again, the bolts were cutting their own threads in the bracket and the two pieces (bracket and upright) were separating, leaving a big gap between the two.  I stopped just short of removing the second nut and retraced my steps, putting it all back together.  There are some weird dynamics going on that weren't there when I first installed the TP.  I may try removing the fenders and backing off all preload, or putting a board under the drive wheel, so the TP is just kind of hanging there with the outriggers just touching the floor.  That should remove any preload on all the fasteners.

As you older folks probably know, having a body that doesn't take well to bending, or lying on the floor, and thin skinned backs-of-the-hands so that any contact starts blood flowing, makes any chore a real challenge.  PITA!!

New Post 2/2/2008 7:36 PM
  Gramps
15 posts
No Ranking

Managed to get the TP off today, but putting it back on will present a problem.  My wife and I are a couple of loners, living well off the beaten path, with no friendly neighbors near by to lend assisstance.  Once I figure how to hold the bike vertical (my floor jack gave up the works today), I'll get to the grease upgrade and the reinstall of the TP.  I don't know how long my 5'4", 99 pound wife would last holding it up, so the next challange is to be find a mechanicle means of support.  In almost 58 years on two wheeled road machines, nothing has offered the challange of working on a Burgman 650 and a trike kit!

New Post 2/2/2008 7:47 PM
  seatec
161 posts
10th Level Poster

I know what you mean, I have to get my wife to help me at times. I dont know anything about the Tow Pac. Do you just have to keep it upright and level, can you tie a roap to each hand rail and bridel it to a solid object, do the same thing with each handle bars and that will hold it up.  Your center stand is off is it.  Where do you live gramps.    Wayne

New Post 2/3/2008 1:30 PM
  Gramps
15 posts
No Ranking

I'd say come on over and give me a hand, but it would be quite a ride.  I have lived in southern North Carolina since I deserted New England, Connecticut, in 1990.  I took an early retirement and could no longer afford the high costs of modern civilization.  We are now ensconced in fifty odd acres of woods and fields, a quarter mile off a miserable dirt road that changes topography with each rain.

I'm planning on, or better said thinking about, a couple of eye bolts screwed into a ceiling rafter, with ropes or tie-down straps to the handlebars.  Fix my floor jack and get the bike upright, and secure as above.  The older I get, 75 last month, even the simplest of tasks takes on a whole new challenge.

New Post 2/3/2008 7:47 PM
  seatec
161 posts
10th Level Poster

I would also put some eye bolts to each side of your garage and  tie to  grab rails and handle bars ,that will prevent the bike from tipping over.  Good luck gramps, dont let it fall on you.   Wayne

New Post 2/8/2008 2:07 PM
  Gramps
15 posts
No Ranking

It's done!  Thanks to a loving and trusting wife, we got the Tow-Pac
off with nothing more than a piece of 2X4 under the side stand and the
removal of just the lower frame cover. Fixed the floor jack, and used
it to add a bit more stability. Grease drained and refilled, then the
fun of putting the Tow-Pac back on. A little brute strength and the
jack, and all is well, except maybe for a couple of cut and bruised hands.

I don't anticipate ever having to do it again, because the rear tire
and drive box will probably last longer than I will be riding.

BTW, I don't think a motorcycle jack will work on the Burgman unless
all the lower plastic is removed and some adapters fabricated.

Gramps

New Post 2/8/2008 6:51 PM
  seatec
161 posts
10th Level Poster

Good news that you got it done, Would be hard to get a motorcycle jack to fit, I had one and took it back, but it would work with some modification.   Wayne

New Post 2/17/2008 9:43 PM
  Sonny1639
44 posts
No Ranking

Glad you got it done Gramps. I will be taking mine off before long to replace the rear tire. Don't know it the axle would come out with the Tow Pac on or not.

Tire not ready to replace yet but figure by the 7500 mile maint it will be so will probably just do it all then.

Take care and have FUN...Sonny

Previous Previous

Next Next
  Forum  Discussions  Tow-Pac Inc  Rear drive grease change

Privacy Statement  |  Terms Of Use
Copyright 2007 Schooner Solutions Inc