New YesterdayNew Yesterday:10
User CountOverall:2698

People OnlinePeople Online:
VisitorsVisitors:386
MembersMembers:0
TotalTotal:386

Online NowOnline Now:

Forum

Forum  Discussions  Tow-Pac Inc  Removing Rear Drive Wheel (Tow-Pac)
Previous Previous

Next Next
New Post 7/5/2008 10:51 AM
  650scoot
6 posts
No Ranking

Removing Rear Drive Wheel (Tow-Pac)  (United States)

My Tow-Pac kit has just arrived and I am getting ready to install it.  What must be done in order to remove the rear drive wheel for tire replacement after the kit has been installed?

I have noticed on the forum that some are experiencing bracket failure and this has me concerned.  Which particular bracket is involved?  I will be rather disappointed if I experience a bracket failure and must remove the side panels again in order to make a modification.  Perhaps I can strengthen this particular bracket when I install the kit?

There is some disagreement on the forum as to what has to be done in order to remove the side panels.  One member says that the panels can be removed WITHOUT removing the trunk box liner and other parts etc.  I am hoping that this is true since it will save me labor cost as my dealer is removing the side panels for me.  Also, I must be able to ride the bike to the location where the kit will be installed after the side panels have been removed.

Can someone please answer these concerns for me? 

I hope that I have not bitten off more than I can chew!

Thanks,

Will (650scoot)

New Post 7/5/2008 3:16 PM
  seatec
161 posts
10th Level Poster

Re: Removing Rear Drive Wheel (Tow-Pac)  (Canada)

You do not have to remove the trunk box liner to remove the side pannels, just take off the rear panels and then the side panels, lots of clips and watch around fuel filler to get it back on right.  Wayne

New Post 7/5/2008 7:06 PM
  Sonny1639
44 posts
No Ranking

Re: Removing Rear Drive Wheel (Tow-Pac)  (N/A)

Will, when I "Went to the dark side", I just took off the Tow-Pac. It's only 5 bolts and the dealer ws going to do the 7000 or 7500 mile service and said it would be better for him with out it as he hadn't installed it.

While it was off he did the service and then I replaced the tire and changed to Ikon shocks on the rear.

My bracket on the right did break so I just took some 1/4 steel I had around here and made some modifications to the front bracket.

Gramps may have hit the nail on the head when he suggested that I may have had the wheels to tight on the ground and that was causing extra strain on the brackets. When I got the kit is said in the paper work that it was adjusted for the 650 so I didn't change it.

The car tire raised the rear some and I le3ft the Tow-Pac settings as they were and it still rides fine so he is probably right that it doesn't need to be that tight.

Good luck...Sonny

New Post 7/6/2008 11:50 AM
  650scoot
6 posts
No Ranking

Re: Removing Rear Drive Wheel (Tow-Pac)  (United States)

Wayne,

I have  the passenger backrest installed on the top rear panel.  Is this one of  the panels that must be removed in order to remove the side panels?  If so, it is going to be a "bear" of a job.

Will

New Post 7/6/2008 12:03 PM
  650scoot
6 posts
No Ranking

Sonny,

Is bracket "E" the bracket that broke?

If I understand you correctly, the pre-set factory torsion adjustments were too stiff.  They call it the "optimum" settings in the assembly manual.  If this is the case, I should probably soften the adjustments by 1/.4 in.---I sure don't want to break any brackets.

When riding 2/UP I adjust my rear shocks to the #2 position.  I assume I should still use #2 position even though I have the kit installed?

As to removing the kit for service work---can the 5 bolts that you mention, be removed without having to remove the side panels again?  My dealer has already informed me that he wants the kit removed if he has to work on the bike.  I may be getting into more than I expected.

I am handicapped from an old injury and in order to keep on riding I have to go to a trike conversion---do not have a choice in the matter.

Thanks for your help.

Will

New Post 7/6/2008 12:39 PM
  650scoot
6 posts
No Ranking

Wayne,

I forgot to ask, must the hand rails be removed in order to get the side panels off?  It looks like it to me.  We are talking about a 650 not a 400 scooter.

Thanks,

Will

New Post 7/6/2008 1:54 PM
  seatec
161 posts
10th Level Poster

Re: Removing Rear Drive Wheel (Tow-Pac)  (Canada)

yes the hand raild have to be removed, dont drop the back bolts , there is a washer and a spacer with them, use a small magnet to get them out it makes it easier.  The back rest will come off very easy, you should have a manual when you do this stuff, it helps.  wayne

New Post 7/6/2008 6:26 PM
  Sonny1639
44 posts
No Ranking

Modified By Sonny1639  on 7/6/2008 5:28:49 PM)

Will, the bracket on mine that broke is the flimsy rear one on the right side of frame. Mine looked like it was made out of a tin can with a nut welded to it.

I think the best thing is to think of the kit a training wheels that are there to keep it from falling over and not so much as a trike with all the weight on the kit.

The bolts I took off to remove the kit are the two outside that attach the kit to the bar you replace the centerstand with.

The two lower left side bolts connecting to the left side hanger that you add and the one lower bolt on the right side.

As I added some lights, I also added a regular trailer connector while mounting the kit so everything is plug and play.

To hold the bike upright I put a couple of bricks under the kick stand and then run a tie down from around the handle bars to something over on the left side of the bike to hold it against the bricks if that make sense. Most things I have to do by myself so look for ways to do that.

Son and grandson just moved back and they both ride so may can get a little help when I need it now.

I don't change my shock setting. May should but haven't

Hope that helps....Sonny

New Post 7/6/2008 9:24 PM
  650scoot
6 posts
No Ranking

Sonny,

You are being a great help to me and I appreciate your information and hope you don't mind answering my questions.

I will look in my kit parts package for the flimsy bracket you describe.  If I find it unsatisfactory I will make it out of a thicker piece of steel and tack weld a nut.  I don't think that going a little thicker will interfere with the assembly.  Perhaps, TP has recognized this problem and provided a thicker bracket as mine came off of the assembly line just a week ago.  I am told that they are selling these kits as fast as they can make them.

I have the passenger backrest mounted on the top rear panel.  Will the backrest and panel have to be removed in order to remove the side panels?

Some say that the trunk liner must be removed and some say that it doesn't.  Withour removing the trunk liner I don't see any way to remove the hand rails and it looks like they have to be removed.

I don't have a shop manual (expensive) and my dealer is going to remove the side panels (7/15) for me however, I want to know ahead of time what the procedure is and if I can pass any information to him to try to keep the labor cost to a minimum.

Yes, I know about the 2 X 4 thing.  I have been carrying a short piece in my trunk that I was placing under the side stand when I filled up with gas instead of using the center stand.  This allowed me to fill the tank with more fuel.  I am 76 years old and slightly handicapped so, the center stand thing is very difficult for me withot some help.

While I'm at it, where do you live?  Do you mind passing your email address on to me?  You can contact me at

willewis@hydrosoft.net  and then we can correspond via email.

Thanks again,

Will

New Post 7/7/2008 9:54 PM
  Sonny1639
44 posts
No Ranking

Will, Did you get my email?

Previous Previous

Next Next
  Forum  Discussions  Tow-Pac Inc  Removing Rear Drive Wheel (Tow-Pac)

Privacy Statement  |  Terms Of Use
Copyright 2007 Schooner Solutions Inc